- 2 pounds turkey testicles
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup red wine
- salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- Louisiana Hot Sauce
- hog lard (cooking oil can be substituted)
- Split the tough skin-like muscle that surrounds each "oyster." (Use a sharp knife) You can also remove the skin easily if the "oysters" are frozen and then peeled while thawing.
- Set into a pan with enough salt water to cover them for one hour to remove some of the blood and drain.
- Transfer to large pot.
- Add enough water to float "oysters" and a generous tablespoon of vinegar.
- Parboil, drain and rinse.
- Let cool and slice each "oyster" into 1/4 inch thick ovals. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of sliced "oyster" to taste.
- Mix flour, cornmeal and some garlic powder to taste in a bowl. Roll each slice into this dry mixture. Dip into milk. Dip into dry mixture. Dip into wine quickly (repeat the procedure for a thicker crust).
- Place into hot cooking oil.
- Add Louisiana Hot Sauce to cooking oil (it'll sizzle some, so be careful!).
- Cook until golden brown or tender, and remove with a strainer (the longer they cook, the tougher they get).