Squirrel Sauce Piquante is the perfect recipe for when your teenage brother, son, cousin, father brings home a mangey-looking squirrel they killed in the yard.
- 2 squirrels, cut up
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 Tbs. flour
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 small can Rotel tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- Season squirrel with salt and pepper.
- Using a Dutch oven, add oil and squirrel.
- Brown pieces of meat well on both sides.
- Remove meat.
- Lower heat to medium and sauté onions, bell pepper and flour in same pan until brown.
- Return squirrel to pan and add tomato sauce, Rotel tomatoes and enough water to cover meat.
- Cover pot with a tight fitting lid and simmer for at least 1 hour, or until meat is tender.
- Add onion tops and parsley just before serving.
- Serve over rice.